Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Uh-oh: It's the homesick blue bugs buzzing over my head~

Today was my first day at National Instruments. I don't know how much I can blog about it since it's supposed to be all confidential info there, they had a briefing to talk bout privacy issues. But it should be ok, I'll just blog bout my experiences anyway, nothing technical.

My supervisor, who has been ever so kind to me since day 1, came by the apartment at 8am to pick me and Pui Yee up... I still can't get used to the driver's side on the left.. I wanted to sit in the passenger seat, but went to the wrong side >.< Was initially excited.. But a tsunami of homesickness suddenly hit me when I entered the orientation room. The room was filled with all the American interns, most of them from Austin so they were all so near home. And Pui Yee and I were the only ones who were so far from home. I still couldn't really click with the Americans yet, but I did talk to one other intern who was very nice, she's from Austin.

Then I got excited and couldn't wait to try out my work badge, after seeing my sister and brother-in-law always carrying their cool tags around, I finally have one! =) I got so excited everytime I had to scan it in front of the doors =)

Then the moment I had been waiting for: my cubicle!! I've got a pretty spacious and pretty cubicle just opposite the coffee maker, so I'm gonna be drinking lotsa coffee again haha (there goes my caffeine rehab). I've noticed that Americans are so friendly and nice, but they are so confident and strong in voice and personality that sometimes I feel a bit hesitant when talking to them. It's the inferiority complex I will need to break down when talking Americans.

I then went for the drug test where I had to... ahem... in a cup and then proceeded back to my cubicle. Then suddenly all the tiredness from the past 3 days just bursted out.. I've only been having 3 or 4 hours since coming here due to all the things I hv to do to settle into the apartment and all... Was so tired I just sat down in my chair, stunned. I guess it's OK for the first day of work? I'm sure everyone experience first day work blues?

I have no idea what I'm going to do tmr because my PC has problems logging in, so I might just be staring at my cubicle walls... I'll probably go disturb my supervisor at the cubicle tmr, I hope he doesn't get tired of 'babysitting' me the whole week.

I'm feeling a bit pressured already when he sat down with me today and listed down all the goals he'd like me to achieve during this internship, and also all the monitoring that's gonna take place. I guess this internship is really good because it's gonna really test me on my ability to communicate with other people. My introverted nature makes me sigh when I think of going out of my cubicle to talk to other ppl... ESPECIALLY since it's my first time working, and it's in a foreign land with foreign ppl I can't quite relate to and understand yet....

But I must push myself to start stepping out of my comfort zone and perform in this internship. So that during my mid-internship and end of internship review, I won't be crushed by bad comments from my managers..

I miss my big sister.. I just read her blog, and it made me so homesick, she transferred her blues to me... I miss you too, big sis =(

What a long blog post with so many words.. will try uploading photos b4 my dinner appointment later.. I just want to crawl into bed and sleep =( But this is the time to make connections in the business world, not hide in my room~ ok, gonna browse through my photos now~ =)

2 comments:

  1. It's normal to feel off on the first few days when you're there. It's the jetlag. Probably will take you a week to settle into the environment. After that things will get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. first day work blues are normal. for u, it is a big culture shock but still u have to admit it is exciting to plunge head-on into the tough corporate world in the american motherland, the hq's of major computer hardware and software firms in the world. aiya, card security scan to access through doors no big deal lah. dun u know in the pentagon, they use iris scan... remember the scene of tom cruise gaining access by plonking a ripped-off eyeball in front of the iris scanner in the movie, Minority Report... My little baby girl will do well in Austin coz half your genes come from me, very tough genes mah... =) daddums

    ReplyDelete

 

Distributed by eBlog Templates